What PTAC Offers Who Makes a Good PTAC Client PTAC Events Calendar Apply as a Client

Before You Submit Your Application Determine If You Are Eligible for Our Program

Program Background

The University of Houston Procurement Technical Assistance Center (UH PTAC) is a Program of the Defense Logistic Agency’s (DLA) Procurement Technical Assistance Program (PTAP).  The Program was implemented to increase small business participation in Federal Government contracting for businesses that have been operating in the commercial market and have a proven record of successful performance.  Since its inception, the Program has expanded to include providing assistance to businesses in all three areas of government – Federal, State, and Local.

To achieve the Program’s objective, the UH PTAC has developed a client-advising program called the Three Rs of Government Contracting – Register, Research, and Respond.  This program consists of a series of actions completed by the business owner based on minimum requirements, advice, and recommendations provided by our advisors.  This in turn serves two primary objectives:

  1. Educate you on what is required to do business with government; and
  2. Prepare and guide you on doing business with government.

We achieve these objectives via one-on-one advising and through a variety of classroom workshops.

We are not a help desk and we try to avoid one-off / transactional assistance.  Instead, our intent is to work with clients to develop their government business.

Program Eligibility Requirements

We are required to determine if potential clients are ready to do business with government.  The minimum eligibility criteria below were based on mandatory requirements set by the DLA and UH PTAC’s experience and understanding of what is typically required for a business to be ready for government contracting.  In order to become a UH PTAC client you must meet all of these requirements:

Is Your Company Legally Registered to Do Business in the State of Texas?

Your company must be a Texas legally-registered business.  You must be either a Sole Proprietorship, LLC, Partnership, S-Corporation, or Corporation.  The company must be a for-profit company - the PTAC program is not set up to assist non-profit concerns.  The PTAC Program cannot assist companies pursuing government grants.  If your company is registered in another state, you should be registered as a foreign entity (visit http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/index.shtml to obtain information on TX business filings).

Have You Been in Business at Least One Year and Have a Minimum of $25,000 in Sales?

A proven track record of commercial sales is essential to help government buyers determine that you will be able to meet their requirements.  Government agencies typically will request you submit your company’s experience information with your offer.  If you have had experience selling your goods or services in the private sector, the government can use that past performance history when evaluating your offer to determine your probability for success performing the contract.

Is Your Business Located in Our 35-county Service Area?

The PTAP in Texas operates on a geographic basis and the UH PTAC has responsibility for a 35-county area surrounding Houston, TX.  The primary way to determine if you are serviced by the UH PTAC is based on the business address you provided Dun and Bradstreet when applying for your DUNS number.  You do not need to have a DUNS number to become a UH PTAC client, but we do encourage that you get one by visiting the DUNS website.

If you do not have a DUNS number at the time you submit your application for our services, we determine your eligibility based on the business address you provided in your application.

If your business location is outside our service area, visit our National APTAC Website to locate your servicing PTAC.

Are you the Majority Owner of the Company?

PTAC advisers provide advice and recommendations, as such, we are required to work with the majority owner of the business.  The majority owner is defined as the owner with the largest percentage of ownership.  The majority owner is allowed to designate no more than two representatives to work with us. The designated representative can attend advising meetings without the majority owner.  However, the majority owner must submit the application and designate their representatives.

A Designated Representative must be a W2 employee and cannot be 1099 Independent Contractors.  An independent contractor can accompany the majority owner or W2 designated representative to PTAC advisor meetings, but they cannot represent the company without the majority owner or designated representative present.  This does not apply to classroom workshops provided by the UH PTAC or UH SBDC.  Any individual can attend these workshops.

Does the Majority Owner Devote Less Than Half Time to the Business?

Government agencies expect business points of contact to be available at least Monday – Friday during regular work hours (generally defined as 8:00AM – 5:00PM).  Individuals that work full time for another company do not meet this requirement.

If you have any questions regarding our program eligibility, contact the UH PTAC Program Director by email at tdscarborough@uh.edu.

If You Are Eligible for Our Program Select the Link Below to Go to Our Online Application

Client Application

We ask prospective clients to click here and complete our Application for Services.  The completed application is the first step in our process and our source for basic data on your company.  We do not share your application information outside of our organization.  We treat it as confidential and only use the information to help us better understand your business and to prepare to meet with you one-on-one.

Sign Up for the PTAC New Client Initial Meeting (NCIM)

After you submit the online application, the next step is to register for the PTAC NCIM.  The NCIM is mandatory for all new clients and a prerequisite to meeting with your assigned adviser one-on-one.  The NCIM prepares you for your meeting with your adviser.

Visit our PTAC Events Calendar to sign up for the NCIM.  We offer the NCIM every other week.  Select the NCIM date that best meets your schedule and you will be taken to our Training website.  If you are not a Star Member, you need to first create your free Star Member account.  Once you are a Star Member you are then eligible to register for the PTAC NCIM.  If you have any problems with or questions about registering for the Star Membership or the NCIM, please contact Gina Mattei at gmattei@uh.edu or by phone at 713-752-8485.

Are You a Start-up Business?

Start-up businesses without a record of sales are not eligible for our program.  We do recommend you consider becoming a client of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).  The SBDC provides no-cost business-advisory services to help you get your business moving in the right direction.  Visit www.sbdc.uh.edu to learn more about the services offered by the SBDC.

“The UH PTAC, which serves as a Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC), is funded in part through a cooperative agreement from the Department of Defense (DOD) through a program that is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).  The content of any written materials or verbal communications of the PTAC does not necessarily reflect the official views of or imply endorsement by DOD or DLA.”